Sunday, November 7, 2010

Video Blog Week 10

Islamic Art: India and the Middle East

Why: This is something I really don't know a whole lot about. I have never taken a class before that even mentioned Islamic art.

Concepts: The truest evidence of a society is its art. The Taj Mahal is one of the world’s oldest surviving mosques.


African Art
Why:African art is a really expressive and fun art. IT is more simplistic though very styled. It really interested me.

Concepts: Art is apart of daily life as well as rituals and ceremonys.Used terracotta, bronze, and gold. Elaborate carvings. African are is conceptual. Rooted in magic and religion. Everything is animated by unseen spirits. 


Buddhism
Why:I find Buddhism very interesting. I was intrigued to see what the video had to show.

Concepts: Buddhism was founded by Buddha. Images depict gentleness and serenity. Buddhism split into two groups: "hinayana" and "mahanyana". Sanchi, India is the center of Buddhist art and architecture. Buddha is depicted as animals and plants sometimes. The lotus is the sacred flower of Buddha.

Hinduism
Why: Another subject I do not know much about but I would like to know more.

Concepts: Varanasi is the oldest inhabited city in the world and most holy in the Hindu religion. Gods and goddesses function in a way similar to Christian saints. The representation of theses gods and goddesses is the base for the art and architecture.


I don't really feel like I learned about art from the videos. I feel like I more so learned about the religions. It was hard to find concepts because it didn't really seem like they pertained to art. I do see how each video is a more in depth look at each religion unlike the book but I felt they didn't focus on art enough.The video on African art was my favorite and I found it the most interesting and informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment