Sunday, November 7, 2010

Masks

Artist: Chika tribe of Cameroon
Title of work: Mask made for the Chika tribe's dancing rituals
Media: The nose and eyebrows are covered in red copper plate, and there are copper wire inlays on the forehead. Carved.
Size: 43 cm. (H) X 27 cm. (W) (17.2 X 10.8 Inches)
Source of picture (URL): http://africangoodies.com/osc/images/chika1.jpg

Description- The surface of this mask is a polished, slick, surface with intricate lines carved into it.
Formal analysis- The wires and carved lines around the mask create line and draw your eye around the piece. The particular makes has a beautiful color pallet.

I really liked the color of this piece as well as the many lines it contained. 


Title of work: Mahakala mask
Media: Hardwood
Date: circa 15th. C
Size: height 11 in
Source of picture (URL): http://www.mysterydance.com/himalayanmasks/images/2.jpeg
 Description-  A large mask, it features bold characteristics and sharp pointy teeth. The eyes have no pupils. The top of the head is adorned.
Formal analysis-The large proportion of the eyes draws attention directly to them. The sharp pointy teeth create an emphasis on the aggressive nature of the piece. 

 I chose this mask for its ability to emote.


Title of work: Mask covered in copper
Media: Wood, copper
Date:
Size: Hight 13 1/2"
Source of picture (URL): http://www.remnantsofritual.com/photos/093_MskLwalu.jpg

 Description- A large mask depicting a character with small eyes, a large nose, and a pointy chin.
Formal analysis- The large scale of the nose puts emphasis on it. It also creates line in the middle of the piece. 

 I was draw to this mask just for its unique features that were unlike any others I looked at. 






My mask includes a disproportional nose for proportion. Oversize eyes for emphasis. Repeating lines that draw your eye up and down the image for repetition and line. 


I don't really know how I feel about this mask. I realized when I completed it is kinda resembled myself. I did enjoy the process of creating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment